Our online marketplace features the leading energy suppliers serving Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Since Pennsylvania electric deregulation began in 1996, businesses have the power to choose their specific electricity provider or to continue to purchase from their utility company. For businesses of all sizes in Philadelphia, the deregulated market allows business owners to compare energy plans from top energy suppliers and shop for the best rate.
In 1994 the Public Utilities Commission began investigating the energy market and published their findings in "The Report and Recommendation on Electric Competition". Their research convinced the state assembly to pass the Electricity Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act in 1996. Over the next 15 years, Pennsylvania removed market rate caps by region gradually forming a free market.
Utilities are the entities in charge of the operation and maintenance of the energy infrastructure, like wires and towers. The local utility in Philadelphia is Penn Power, Penelec, Duquesne Light Company, PPL Electric Utilities, West Penn Power, and Met-Ed. Each utility is responsible for transporting electricity from the generators to residential homes and businesses in Philadelphia.
Energy providers in Philadelphia, like Direct Energy, Entrust, and Public Power, are the competitive energy retailers. Each energy provider buys energy from the wholesale market (the generators) and then re-sells it to consumers (homeowners, renters, and businesses).
In most cases, the consumer (the homeowner, renter, or business) signs a contract with an energy provider for a specific energy plan. The basic energy plan details the rate class, the energy rate per kWh, the contract term length (6, 12, 24, 36 months), and other contract terms like the cancellation fee policy.
Philadelphia, also known as Philly, is the largest city in Pennsylvania and the 6th largest city in the U.S, with a growing population of 1,580,863.
Founded in 1682, Philadelphia played a major role in the founding of the country as it served as the meeting place for the Second Continental Congress and signing of both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution and then served as the nation’s first capital.
Today, Philadelphia is home to the 6th largest workforce in the U.S including highly skilled professionals in leading industries, including energy, manufacturing, life sciences, technology and financial services. With a strategic east coast location between New York City and Washington, DC, the Philadelphia metro area serves as the headquarters for 18 Fortune 500 companies.
Also known as the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia was named the first World Heritage City in the U.S. and consistently ranks as one of the top places to visit in the U.S.
It is estimated that Pennsylvania is home to 1 million small businesses in a wide variety of industries and categories. Small businesses in Pennsylvania make up 98.2% of the total businesses in the state with the remaining 1.8% being large or enterprise level companies.
As of the latest SUSB census, Pennsylvania small businesses employed over 2 million people in the state representing 47% of the total employees in Pennsylvania.
Firms with fewer than 100 employees have the largest share of small business employment.
927,691 small businesses
2.4 million small business employees
Accommodation and Food Service
Electricity for Philadelphia business and residential users is generated across the regional electricity grid, and several entities are collectively responsible for providing electricity:
PJM Interconnection: PJM operates the wholesale electricity marketplace and ensures the reliability of the electricity grid, and conducts long-term planning for the future of electricity generation and transmission.
Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission (PUC): Electricity is regulated at the state level by the PA PUC. The PUC sets rates (which influence how much electricity costs) and manages programs to improve energy efficiency and promote renewable electricity.
Compare business energy rates from the top energy suppliers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.