Tennessee Solar Panel Installation Specialty and Solar Thermal-Geothermal Licensing

August 24, 2010


In Tennessee, the Board for Licensing Contractors may assign the specialty license designation "S-Solar Panel Installations" to licensed contractors, plumbers, and electricians. A building contractor (license BC, BC-B) or a electrical contractor (license CE) may both receive this designation to install panels, but only a licensed electrical contractor may actually make the electrical connections. There is no specialty exam associated with this designation (which is added to the license), other than the "Business and Law" exam in addition to the relevant contract exam. Solar hot water installers with the plumber's license (CMC, CMC-A) will also receive the S-Solar Panel Installations specialty. Solar thermal or geothermal installers related to heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) are required to have the CMC-C license. Geothermal contractors that drill wells will also need a Geothermal Well Driller License from the Department of Environment and Conservation.

Program Overview

Implementing Sector: State
Category: Regulatory Policy
State: Tennessee
Incentive Type: Solar/Wind Contractor Licensing
Web Site: http://tn.gov/commerce/boards/contractors/contractor.shtml
Start Date:
Eligible Renewable/Other Technologies:
  • Solar Water Heat
  • Solar Space Heat
  • Solar Photovoltaics
  • Geothermal Heat Pumps


Name: Building Construction Info
Organization: Department of Commerce and Insurance
Address: 500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville TN 37243-1150
Phone: (615) 741-8307
Email: Contractors.Home-Improvement@TN.Gov

This information is sourced from DSIRE; the most comprehensive source of information on incentives and policies that support renewables and energy efficiency in the United States. Established in 1995, DSIRE is operated by the N.C. Clean Energy Technology Center at N.C. State University.