Montgomery County - Wind Power Purchasing

April 06, 2011


In September 2007, Montgomery County approved contracts to purchase wind energy and renewable-energy credits (RECs) derived from wind energy equal to 100% of the county government's electricity consumption. The REC portion (95%) of this purchase entailed an outlay of $293,212 over the course of the two-year purchase contract, with remaining 5% purchased from PECO Energy Company wind facilities on a month-to-month basis at $3,104 per month. The contract periods began in October 2007 and expired two years later. On October 1, 2009, the County Board of Commissioners approved additional wind energy contracts with PECO and Community Energy for 14 month terms expiring December 31, 2010. The contract with Community Energy provides for monthly payments totaling $43,543.50 and the contract with PECO provides for monthly payments totaling $8,593.62, for a grand total $52,137.12 over life of the contracts. The green power purchase ranked among the top-20 largest local government green power commitments in the country during 2009, according to the EPA Green Power Partnership Program.

Program Overview

Implementing Sector: Local
Category: Regulatory Policy
State: Pennsylvania
Incentive Type: Green Power Purchasing
Web Site:|
Start Date:
Eligible Renewable/Other Technologies:
  • Wind (All)
Renewables % or Amount: 100%
Source: Wind


Name: County Commission Resolution 09-C.387
Date Enacted: 10/01/2009
Effective Date: 11/01/2009
Expiration Date: 12/31/2010 (current contracts)


Name: John Corcoran
Organization: Office of Communications
Address: One Montgomery Plaza, Ste. 800
Norristown PA 19404-0311
Phone: (610) 278-3061

This information is sourced from DSIRE; the most comprehensive source of information on incentives and policies that support renewables and energy efficiency in the United States. Established in 1995, DSIRE is operated by the N.C. Clean Energy Technology Center at N.C. State University.