There are 3 types of coal reserves. Here are the estimated amounts based on data from 2021:
- Recoverable Reserves = 12,282 million Short Tons
- Estimated Recoverable Reserves = 250,978 million Short Tons
- Demonstrated Reserve Base = 470,929 million Short Tons
- Recoverable Reserves estimated coal quantity at active mines. This is the amount of coal that is possible to be mined today.
- Demonstrated Reserve Base estimated coal quantity that is yet to be mined, but is possible to be mined given today's technology. This does not take into consideration economic feasibility, land restrictions, or any other restrictions.
- Estimated Recoverable Reserves estimated coal quantity that is available after excluding coal under land restrictions. This amount does not take into consideration economic feasibility.